Announcing Human at a Distance: An Open Organization Guide to Distributed Teamwork

It is with great pleasure that we announce the the release of our newest book, Human at a Distance: An Open Organization Guide to Distributed Teamwork.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, and a special thanks to our dear @Bryan who was a successful cat herder. We wouldn’t have been able to get this out this year without you! Together, we’ve launched the first Open Org book with our new branding and a new snazzy design. I’m super pleased.

Featuring chapters from contributors in various organizations across the globe, the book explores how open principles and practices can help organizations foster collaboration, increase transparency, enhance accountability, and establish a greater degree of trust and camaraderie while their members are geographically separated.

The book is available immediately for download at the following locations.

PDF
ePub

A paperback version of the book (sold at cost) will be available in Q1 2021.

Like all other books in the Open Organization series, Human at a Distance is licensed with a Creative Commons license that permits sharing, translation, and remix. The community invites additional contributions to the book, which will receive its first planned update in early 2021.

3 Likes

What an incredible achievement. So many thanks to co-editor @laura, who not only helped herd those cats but also dreamed up our title and designed the book cover. We couldn’t be prouder.

As @laura notes, this is a Book of Firsts in many ways:

• The first book to feature our new logo and branding, unveiled this year
  • The first book to pilot a more open, collaborative writing and editing process, coordinated via GitHub
  • The first publication for some new contributors, whose chapters marked the first steps toward greater community contribution

It’s just the ray of light I needed at the end of this year. Congratulations to all.

2 Likes

@Bryan can we get this book added to the book series page? It would be nice to have a link to point people to that isn’t a direct download of the PDF/epub.

You can refer people to:

https://theopenorganization.org/books/

… which we’re planning to become the canonical books download page.

Does that work for you?

It does! I forgot about the new website. :frowning: I went looking for it on opensource.com

1 Like