April 09, 2020 meeting

Meeting conducted at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET

U.S. Dial-in number: 408.915.6466
Meeting ID: 4569610770
Video: https://redhat.bluejeans.com/4569610770/

In attendance

Ron McFarland
Ben Cotton
Jen Kelchner
Ben Cotton
Heidi Hess von Ludewig
Ben Owens


  • Meeting begins by all of us exchanging COVID notes. Please stay safe, everyone!
  • Face mask fashion show
  • Shoutout to Heidi for being so awesome and pitching in so much this month
  • Discussion of opening up our meeting minutes: We’ve decided to make our meeting minutes more accessible to non-Ambassadors, but won’t be releasing verbatim recordings. Recordings will be available to Ambassadors only, inside Discourse. Bryan will work on it and report back.

Event updates

Community Central

  • Laura, Allison, Rebecca, and Bryan discussed the Open Organization community on a recent episode of “Community Central,” a weekly webcast from Red Hat’s Open Source Program Office. A video is available.

Red Hat Summit

  • The Open Organization project will be part of Community Central at Red Hat Summit, being held virtually this year. All members of the Open Organization community are welcome to participate, staff our virtual booth, meet with attendees, and promote our great work. More details are available in our ongoing thread.
  • Please let Bryan know if you’re interested in participating.

Project Updates

Updated community branding

  • Bryan reports on plans to update our community brand.
  • Work is proceeding faster than we anticipated. More substantial updates at next month’s meeting.

Update community website

  • Bryan reports on plans to update our community website. We can also discuss other potential infrastructure upgrades, as necessary, desirable.
  • Bryan is in the process of pulling all requisite levers at Red Hat to ensure we’ve got control of our two URLs, theopenorganization.org and theopenorganization.community. The former will point to our new site; the latter points to our Discourse home. Lots of bureaucratic goings-on.
  • Bryan will keep everyone updated.

Revising our charter

Our next project

  • Heidi to expand on her recent call to plan our next community project.
  • Discussion of materials licensing: Are we licensing our materials in a way that’s most comfortable for people? That ensures our materials are used the way we all feel comfortable with?

Publication Updates

Of phoenixes and unicorns

  • Ron seeks feedback on his next article, which examines both The Phoenix Project and its sequel, The Unicorn Project.
  • Ron suggests that we consider developing “fictionalized case studies” like the ones presented here.
  • Can we create resources that explain open organization concepts, principles, and practices as books like these explain the principles and practices associated with DevOps?
  • A very interesting thought experiement. Ron and Bryan to continue conversation. Anyone welcome to join.

Documenting our evolution

  • Remidner from Laura about her idea for a series documenting our work helping the Open Organization community scale and grow.
  • The idea is to use this moment of community evolution to share knowledge and make decision-making public.

Managing with open values

  • New series Heidi is working on. Several interviews concluded or already in place. Explores different philosophies of “open management” across industries. Anyone welcome to participate and help with the series. It’s multi-media (audio and text).
1 Like