December 09, 2021 Meeting

Meeting conducted at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET

U.S. Dial-in number: 408.915.6466
Meeting ID: 4569610770
Video: Blue Jeans Network | Video Collaboration in the Cloud


  • Jen Kelchner
  • Bryan Behrenshausen
  • Jos Groen
  • Ron McFarland
  • Jimmy Sjolund


  • January will be a “planning month,” so our focus will be on the many workshops that folks have graciously agreed to coordinate and lead. As such, our next meeting like this one will occur in February. Bryan will schedule.

Project Updates

2022 strategy workshop series

Planning for our 2022 workshop series is moving along! Three sessions are currently scheduled:

  • Evolving our governance model (led by Jen)
  • Imagining our target audience (led by Ron)
  • What does our website need to do? (led by Laura)

One session yet to be scheduled:

  • Strengthening our contributor pipeline (led by Heather and Bryan)

Additionally, we’ll feature video components/presentations for asynchronous planning. So far, we have:

  • 2022 State of the Project (Bryan to record)
  • OpenOrgTV strategy (Jen to record)

We still have plenty of time to accommodate additional sessions, either in-person or recorded! For instance, we’ve had the following ideas:

  • Building our library of presentation materials, including a shared “messaging deck” for ambassador use
  • Establishing a more focused approach to social media and community marketing (Jen happy to co-lead and looking for a partner)
  • Planning high-priority projects for 2022
  • Strategy call or async document to plan for Open Org TV (led by Jen), focus on engagement

Please see the ongoing planning document and the Discourse discussion thread for complete details!

Building our library of presentation materials

One possible project for 2022 might be evolving and supplementing our library of presentation materials Ambassadors and other community members can use to deliver talks and educational sessions on various aspects of open organizational theory and practice. Ron has some ideas here.

Publication Updates

Nothing new published in November, but more on the docket for December.


  • Just came out of hiatus to publish Jos & Ron’s Interview segment on Opening Talent
  • Jen will do an analysis from YouTube and add to 2022 planning doc & State of the Project report
  • Will likely have to schedule Ask the Ambassador segments after our January meetings (who’s game to schedule for February? Let’s add this to async planning doc for all to weigh in on.)

Opensource dot com

No new publications here in November. Print materials efforts focused on launching and updating the Open Perspectives series.
- Bryan will collect data on 2022 publications and report them as part of 2022 State of the Project (@jenkelchner notes this will help with governance data and recognition on my project)
- In 2022, let’s focus on dual-published pieces (video and text). (@jenkelchner raises the nice suggestion of creating a template Ambassadors can use to create the article portion of the dual publication).

Ambassador Updates

  • Ron: Working on workshop for our series in January. Also working on a “stock” presenation for Ambassadors to use.
  • Jos: Working with Red Hat in the Netherlands to construct an open organization and open leadership series featuring customers and tech partners in the region. This would be a series of pre-recorded seminars for viewing on demand. Following this would be a workshop series on open leadership. Also working on a new chapter-length case study for community use about transforming conventional organization into a OpenOrg based on the Open Org characteristics. I like to invite ambassadors to review the proposition in the English language of hbrd. I’m editing the site in the next three weeks. And maybe this is helpful: Kay just wrote a book about going beyond D&I.
  • Jen: Inner Source/Open Source & Sustainability / COP26 Open Technology & Sustainability