The April 2021 Open Organization Community Report

Editor’s Notes

The Open Organization community published four new articles and videos in April. We also appeared at Red Hat Summit, continued our work constructing an upstream definition of open leadership, and prepared to debut a new video series. Read the full report for more details.

Community Publications

Monthly Highlights

• The Open Organization community exhibited at Red Hat Summit in April, appearing as part of the Open Source Knowledge Building booth in the virtual event expo hall. Ambassadors @jenkelchner and @laura graciously staffed our booth and interacted with attendees wishing to learn more about open organizational culture and leadership.

Key Discussions

• Open Leadership Definition: A working group composed of Open Organization Ambassadors and other community contributors are currently drafting an Open Leadership Definition—a document that more clearly articulates the qualities open leaders must demonstrate when building, nurturing, and propagating open organizational cultures. Anyone is welcome to participate in the initial drafting phase of the work. The entire document will be available as a “public beta” for comment soon.

Looking Ahead

• The next Open Organization community meeting will occur on May 13, 2021, at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET. A draft meeting agenda is online and now accepting additions. If you’re planning to attend, please add anything you’d like to discuss. See you there!
  • In May, a group of Open Organization Ambassadors will record the first episode of a new video series, “Ask the Ambassadors,” a Q&A-style YouTube show that addresses audience-submitted questions about open culture, organizational design, and leadership. The series will debut later in the month. Subscribe and watch for it!

Ambassador Notes

• Ron McFarland writes: "I just keep reading material I’m interested in and make notes to explore if they could be interesting articles to post. Got plenty of them. First, I’ve written an article based on The Age of Sustainable Development by Jeffrey Sachs, which explains how open organization principles are playing a role in achieving sustainable economic development. There are three parts; the first one, on environmental issues, was published this month. Also, for the first time, @Bryan and I made a YouTube video discussing and presenting the material. That was a first for me. We have two others planned, one on sustainability and human suffering and the other on sustainable development global governance. Next, I’ve read the book The Business Reinvention of Japan by Ulrike Schaede and written a draft article on it. Japan has had to make major business model changes over the past couple of decades, and open organization principles have played a role. After that, I’ve read One Belt One Road, Chinese Power Meets the World by Eych Freymann. I think open organization principles will help bring China further into the international community to solve global issues. I now have finished writing a first draft article on it. We can decide when and if we want to post it. Next, I’ve written an article on business stakeholders and where open organization principles can be used. This is a topic that I have been thinking about for at least five years, as too many companies only respond to shareholder pressure for profits. I learned of a book on this subject called Stakeholder Capitalism: A Global Economy that Works for Progress, People and Planet by Klaus Schwab, ordered it, and wrote notes on it. Fifth, I’ve read the book Clean Disruption by Tony Seba. He believes the power generation and transportation industries in the next decade will be disrupted greatly by solar and wind power generation. I think open organization principles will play a major role and have written some draft notes on it. I’ve also read Bill Gates’ new book, How to Avoid a Climate Disaster. Gates offers countless suggestions on this topic, which could be ideal open organization projects. I have written notes on it. Finally, I just finished reading Rule Makers, Rule Breakers by Michele Gelfand. When managing an open organization team, culture matters, and Gelfand gives strategies on how to be successful. I’ll start writing some notes on this book, too.

Links

Filed April 29 by Bryan Behrenshausen