The August 2021 Open Organization Community Report

Editor’s Notes

August was an exceptionally productive month for the Open Organization project. The community released the Open Leadership Definition, a collaboratively written and openly licensed description of open leadership principles and practices. We also published eight new articles and videos. Read the full report to learn more.

Community Publications

Monthly Highlights

Key Discussions

• Neurodiversity in open organizations: Ambassador Sam Knuth has issued a call for contributors to a new series on neurodiversity in open organizations. Track this conversation to learn more (and see his notes below!).

Looking Ahead

• The next Open Organization community call will occur September 09, 2021, at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET. A meeting agenda is now open for anyone who’d like to add items.

Ambassador Notes

Ben Cotton

I will be a panelist for “Hold on loosely: project management for open source” at the Practical Open Source Information conference (online, 16 September)

Jos Groen

After finishing my series on talent management, I plan to create an e-book on this subject, along with possible podcast and video materials to support it. I will also prepare a case study in transformational leadership (a story of transition from from conventional to open) and edit it for publication.

Sam Knuth

I am revitalizing the ongoing discussion around a series of articles on neurodiversity in the open organization. My hope is to publish a couple of pieces myself in the short term, and then coordinate a few other authors. We are also discussing doing a live event or video recording.

Ron McFarland

1. I’m preparing a new presentation for OpenOrgTV, based on my article “5-step plan to encourage your team to make changes on your project,” which we published 26 Jan 2017. I’ve made a presentation entitled “Successfully starting projects,” and I would like to review it with Bryan, as I would like to slant the presentation toward an open leader getting projects successfully launched using Open Organization Principles. After adding his comments, I’d like to present it on OpenOrgTV. After this presentation, I have other presentations that could be explored and
    prepared.

2. Future Open Organization Communities: I have read the book The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism by Jeremy Rifkin. I would like to explore an article based on this book. I have a lot of notes prepared for that article. It will be mostly about Open Organization Community development, what Rifkin calls “Collaborative Commons.”

3. The Sharing Economy: I am now reading The Sharing Economy: The End of Employment and the Rise of Crowd-Based Capitalism by Arun Sundararajan. Building these sharing business models will require using open organization principles. I’ll make some notes and possibly combine this material and material from Rifkin’s book (#2 above) and put an article together, as they both are community development related.

4. Other material: I have read another seven books that could be used for future articles, which I posted in July.

Links

Filed August 30 by Bryan Behrenshausen

1 Like