The June 2021 Open Organization Community Report

Editor’s Notes

In June, the Open Organization community celebrated its sixth anniversary by launching two new initiatives and honoring contributors via social media. The project also published seven new articles and videos. The summer promises to be a busy and fruitful one. Read the full report to learn more about everything that’s going on!

Community Publications

Monthly Highlights

• We’re six! The Open Organization community celebrated its sixth anniversary on June 02 with several significant announcements, a video series featuring the Open Organization Ambassadors, new infographics for social media, and more. Laura Hilliger has summarized the milestone. Thanks for celebrating with us! Here’s to the next six years of conversation and community.
  • Turn on, tune in, open up. The Open Organization project is now on YouTube. The community’s new channel, OpenOrgTV, features in-depth review, roundtable discussions, and one-on-one interviews with open leaders. Learn more at theopenorganization.tv. Want to get involved? Connect with the community’s multimedia maintainer, Jen Kelchner.
  • The working group developing the Open Leadership Definition has completed a first draft of the work and released it for public review and comment. The group is currently collating the excellent and constructive feedback it has received and will begin with on a revised draft.

Key Discussions

• Publish an Open Leadership Definition: This meta-thread tracks all discussion related to one of the community’s most high-profile projects at the moment, the Open Leadership Definition. The project working group is currently working on its first major revision to the work, in line with read and contributor feedback.
  • Ask the Ambassadors Summer Episodes: Multimedia maintainer @jenkelchner is currently coordinating recording new episodes of the “Ask the Ambassadors,” a Q&A-style show for OpenOrgTV. Interested in joining the fun? See this discussion.

Looking Ahead

• The next Open Organization community call will occur on July 22, 2021, at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET. A meeting agenda is currently taking shape and available for attendee input.

Ambassador Notes

Ben Cotton

I presented “Stop Writing Your Own Infrastructure” at LISA21.

Laura Hilliger

This summer We Are Open is working with another cohort of charities to help narrow the gap between open mindsets and non-profit work.

Jen Kelchner

I’ve just completed a three-week conference series with the Informatics Directive for the European Commission (DIGIT) on Future Ready Government through Open Culture. In addition, I was a keynote speaker for the Wyoming Governors Council for Developmental Disabilities where I shared how the principles of Inclusivity and Community could help open employment opportunities and shift the workplace for those with DD.

Jos Groen

I’m finishing an article series on talent management in open organization with the fifth and final piece launching soon (editor’s note: it’s published!). I’ve also drafted a new article about innovation and the war for talent. And I’ve prepared the first draft of a book chapter: “Transform to open: A real life case.”

Ron McFarland

Here is an update of my activities studying and exploring global situations where pen organization principles can be helpful. I already have a great deal of material for articles, but continually enjoy the search for new ideas. We have to discuss which, when, how and if this material should be used and posted. Here is a review regarding what I have and what I’m now working on. I’ve discussed this briefly how and when we can use some of this material with Bryan. I’ll list them in the order the material can be used first to last (or if at all). This order will more than likely be finalized and determined based on the topics of discussions we are having in our monthly meetings on business model issues, environmental/humanitarian issues and leadership issues.

1. Regarding the articles on “The Age of Sustainable Development”, we finished and posted all the articles and presentation recordings. That has been quite successful. I’m getting comments from many sources, including people concerned with environmental and global humanitarian issues and the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
  2. I wrote an article on the book "The Business Reinvention of Japan" by Ulrike Schaede. Bryan and I have edited the article, and it should be posted in 2-parts shortly. Japan has had to make major business model changes and Open Organization Principles have played a role.
  3. Presentations for OpenOrgTV: As a reflection of our five years of Open Organization activities, I looked over the articles I have written that were based on presentations I gave in the past. I have found seven of them with slide presentations of which I have edited four of them using the Open Org slide format. One I briefly presented to Heidi and Bryan on Open Leadership which is based on my article “What is adaptive leadership?” from 05 Mar 2019. I would like this presentation and a discussion recorded and posted on YouTube if all is in agreement. It will support our Open Organization Leadership definition activities. If that goes well, I’d like to schedule other recordings.
  4. I have read and written notes on the book “Rule Makers, Rule Breakers” by Michele Gelfand. When managing an Open Organization team, culture matters, and she (as a psychologist) gives strategies on how to be successful. These concepts could be helpful in our studies of Open Organization Leadership Definition. I have shared this draft with Bryan, and we can start editing it shortly. It too will support Open Organization Leadership definition activities.
  5. I have written an article on business stakeholders and where Open Organization Principles can be used. It is based on the book “Stakeholder Capitalism: A Global Economy that Works for Progress, People and Planet” by Klaus Schwab. This book discusses companies’ pressure from shareholders for profits over social, environmental and community responsibilities. We can explore when and if we should post it.
  6. I have read and written notes on the book, “Clean Disruption”, by Tony Seba. He believes the power generation industry and transportation business in the next decade will be disrupted greatly by solar and wind power generation technology. I think Open Organization Principles will play a major role and could write an article about it.
  7. I have read Bill Gates’ new book, “How to Avoid a Climate Disaster”. He offers countless environmental related proposals which could be ideal Open Organization projects. I have written an article on his suggestions and where Open Organization Principles come into play. We can decide when and where to post it.
  8. I have read the book Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era, by Amory Lovins. It offers countless proposals on energy waste reduction to eliminate the use of and need for fossil fuels by 2050 in transportation, buildings and housing, manufacturing and energy generation itself. The book is written from a business opportunity perspective which is different from Gates’ book or Seba’s book above. His proposals could start Open Organization projects, whether within an organization or just an individual that wants to build a community that tries to reduce energy waste. In either case, these projects could very easily evolve into business startups, or a company’s business unit within a company. I have written notes on the book. We can explore how to use this material.
  9. I just finished reading Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist, by Kate Raworth. Her work is very similar to the concepts I discussed regarding sustainable economic development but from an economist’s perspective. Also, the visuals she uses are very powerful and something we should explore in our presentations of Open Organization concepts. I’m preparing notes on it now.
  10. Quite some time back, I read and drafted some notes on “One Belt One Road, Chinese Power Meets the World”, by Eych Freymann. I think open organization principles (particularly inclusivity) will help bring China more into the international community to solve global economic and environmental issues. We can explore when and if we can post an article on it.
  11. Some time back I read and have written notes on the book, Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. Moore. It talks about the gap between developing a product and getting it broadly into the market. Open organization principles have played a role in this business journey. We could explore an article.
  12. I will soon order the book The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism” by Jeremy Rifkin. In terms of costing, his findings are very similar to Tony Seba’s (#6 above). I want to explore his thoughts on the future economic structure, the future of work and community network building. He uses the term “collaborative commons” which is very similar to our open organization principles of “community.”

Links

Filed June 30, 2021 by Bryan Behrenshausen

1 Like