The May 2021 Open Organization Community Report

Editor’s Notes

The Open Organization community published seven new articles and videos in May. Everyone has been hard at work preparing to celebrate our project’s sixth anniversary (June 02!) with some big announcements. There’s never been a better time to get involved in the project. Read the full report to learn more.

Community Publications

Key Discussions

• Ask the Community: We’ve opened a new forum for questions from (and to!) our community. Here, project contributors and ambassadors can pose their queries so others can answer them in-thread, via an article, or on an upcoming video episode.
  • Open Leadership Definition: The working group creating this new resource has completed a first draft and is preparing it for public review and comment. Everyone is invited (and encoruaged!) to participate.
  • Editorial Queue: Looking for a way to make your first contribution to the Open Organization project? Why not review this list of outstanding ideas our community has curated? Drop us a line or engage with us on GitHub to get started.

Looking Ahead

• The Open Organization project celebrates its sixth anniversary in June. Watch our publication channel at Opensource.com and our social media accounts for important announcements and lots of merriment.
  • The Open Organization project will exhibit in the Communty Central virtual booth at Red Hat Summit 2021, June 15 and 16.
  • The next Open Organization Ambassadors meeting will occur on June 10, 2021, at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET. Anyone interested in attending can review the agenda and add topics for discussion.

Ambassador Notes

Heather Leson

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies’ digital transformation strategy has been approved and published. It features an emphasis on open source, open data, and open organizational principles—and cites the Open Organization Definition on page 37. We’re so proud of this work and the opportunity to get open organization principles into global documents for a large humanitarian organization.

Ron McFarland

I’m continuing to study and explore global situations where open organization principles can be helpful. I now have a wealth of material we can look at for articles. We have to discuss which, when, how and if this material is useful.

The material falls into three major groups: 1) Environment-related, 2) Management and leadership-related, and 3) Business and economic development strategy-related.

Here is a review regarding what I have and what I’m working on.

1. Regarding the book The Age of Sustainable Development, by Jeffrey Sachs and how open organization principles are playing a role, we are finishing up the last of three articles/presentations and will record the final presentation to be uploaded on YouTube shortly.
  2. I have read the book The Business Reinvention of Japan by Ulrike Schaede. I have written a draft article on it. Japan has had to make major business model changes over the past couple of decades, and open organization principles have played a role.
  3. I have read and drafted an article on One Belt One Road, Chinese Power Meets the World, by Eych Freymann. I think open organization principles will help bring China more into the international community to solve global economic and environmental issues.
  4. I have written an article on business stakeholders and where open organization principles can be used. It is based on the book Stakeholder Capitalism: A Global Economy that Works for Progress, People and Planet by Klaus Schwab. This book discusses companies’ pressure from shareholders for profits over social, environmental, and community responsibilities.
  5. I have read and written notes on the book, Clean Disruption by Tony Seba. He believes the power generation industry and transportation business in the next decade will be disrupted greatly by solar and wind power generation technology. I think open organization principles will play a major role and could write an article about it.
  6. I have read Bill Gates’ new book, How to Avoid a Climate Disaster. He offers countless environmental related proposals which could be ideal open organization projects. I have written an article on his suggestions and where open organization principles come into play. We can decide when and where to post it.
  7. I have read and written notes on the book Rule Makers, Rule Breakers by Michele Gelfand. Culture matters when managing an open organization team, and Gelfand gives strategies on how to be successful. These concepts could be helpful in our studies of open organization leadership.
  8. I have read and written notes on the book Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey A. Moore. It talks about the gap between developing a product and getting it broadly into the market. Open organization principles have played a role in this business journey. We could explore an article.
  9. I have just read the book Reinventing Fire: Bold Business Solutions for the New Energy Era by Amory Lovins. It offers countless proposals on energy waste reduction to eliminate the use of and need for fossil fuels by 2050 in transportation, buildings and housing, manufacturing, and energy generation itself. The book is at least 10 years old, but its concepts are very valid today. The book is written from a business opportunity perspective which is different from Gates’ book or Seba’s book above. His proposals could start open organization projects, whether within an organization or just an individual that wants to build a community that tries to reduce energy waste. In either case, these projects could very easily evolve into business startups, or a company’s business unit within a company. I am writing notes on the book now and will be finished sometime within the next week.
  10. I will be ordering and reading Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist by Kate Raworth. Her work is very similar to the concepts I discussed regarding sustainable economic development, but from an economist’s perspective. Also, the visuals she uses are very interesting and something we should explore in our presentations of open organization concepts.

Over the past five years, I have written articles that were based on presentations that I have given previously. We could look through those articles/presentations and explore if they would be interesting material for YouTube presentations. As these are presentations already available, updating them would not be difficult for me.

Links

Filed May 31, 2021 by Bryan Behrenshausen