Contents

{1} Editor’s Notes
{2} Ambassador Publications
{3} Site Stats
{4} Monthly Highlights
{5} Looking Ahead
{6} Ambassador Notes

{1} Editor’s Notes

Welcome, one and all, to the November 2019 Open Organization Ambassadors Report!

The open organization community at Opensource.com published three new articles in November, including the final installment of Laura Hilliger’s three-part multimedia series examining The Open Organization at Greenpeace. Open organization community materials generated 13,443 page views in November. In all, we saw 300 book downloads.

For more details—and to learn what the Open Organization Ambassadors have been up to this month—check out this month’s report!

Editorially yours,
Bryan

{2} Ambassador Publications

Ambassadors published the following articles in November:

{3} Site Stats

The most-read article of the month was:

Additional metrics:

• Page views for November: 13,443 (October: 15,053; September: 15,559)
  • Field Guide downloads in November: 42 (October: 44; September: 47)
  • Leaders Manual downloads in November: 41 (October: 35; September: 43)
  • Workbook downloads in November: 46 (October: 41; September: 36)
  • Guide to IT Culture Change downloads in November: 39 (October: 43; September: 52)
  • Guide for Educators downloads in November: 49 (October: 116; September: 334)
  • Organize for Innovation downloads in November: 54 (October: 40; September: 50)
  • Open Organization Definition downloads in November: 29 (October: 15; September: 21)

{4} Monthly Highlights

• Our multimedia series about The Open Organization at Greenpeace concluded in November with Laura Hilliger’s final piece, “Open by nature,” which was the most-read article of the month.[1] We’ve now collected the entire series on a single page for easy viewing and distribution.[2]

• Open Organization Ambassador Laura Hilliger (author of the multimedia series examining her work with Greenpeace) was shortlisted for a Women in IT Award, “Digital Leader of the Year.”[3] Winners will be announced in January 2020.

• EdSurge once again featured writing from authors of The Open Organization Guide for Educators. In “How can using open source frameworks hook students in STEM?” Randall Joyce and Brandon Dixon from Murray State University explain their work and link interested readers to the guide.[4]

[1] https://opensource.com/open-organization/19/11/open-by-nature
[2] https://opensource.com/tags/open-organization-greenpeace
[3] https://womeninitawards.com/shortlist-london/
[4] https://www.educationdive.com/news/how-can-using-open-source-frameworks-hook-students-in-stem/565813/

{5} Looking Ahead

The next meeting of the Open Organization Ambassadors—the final community meeting of 2019—will occur December 12, 2019, at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET. At this meeting, Red Hat designer Libby Levi will present her work assisting the community with updates to its branding and overall visual identity.

-=-=-

Community publication will pause beginning December 17, 2019, in observance of several year-end holidays. Publishing will resme on January 14, 2020. During the publishing hiatus, two year-end article roundups will appear.

{6} Ambassador Notes

Ron McFarland writes:

“I had the pleasure of visiting Red Hat in Raleigh in November and got a feeling for its people and culture. I’ve spent much of my career in overseas sales training, working in many different countries. I would go to truck dealerships and teach them how to sell trucks. Eventually, I started to train those salesmen’s bosses. And eventually, I was asked to teach general managers and owners responsible for supervising all departments at dealerships. When giving these seminars several questions kept coming up: Why should truck salesmen try to make the truck operators profitable? They just want to sell trucks. Why should sales manager train and help salesmen? They will just take those skills and knowledge and get a better job somewhere else. They should just ask them to sell as much as possible. Why should the general manager help each department manager to become more professional? They should just ask them to make money in their department. The reason they do the above is because by helping others become more professional, they themselves become more professional. On top of that, there is something else. It is not very visible initially, but behind the scenes, there is a sense of trust, loyalty and mutual support generated. That support is a powerful asset, but difficult to explain if you haven’t experienced it. Yes, some people have never felt that ‘asset’ and never will. It has been my experience that many have though and know exactly what I’m talking about. It is an organization of support. That sense of support is exactly the feeling I got when I visited Red Hat is Raleigh through the time everyone gave me. Although I am not an employee, I guess I’m a Red Hatter too.”

Ben Owens writes:

“I am still working with a dozen or so schools and districts to get them to grow a more open culture as the foundation to enable more innovative teaching and learning practices to thrive (makerspaces, coding, project-based learning, mastery learning, etc.). In addition to my own book on Open Way Learning, the Open Organization Guide for Educators has been super helpful in this process.”

++ (END) ++

(One more to go!—BB)