The November 2021 Open Organization Community Report

Editor’s Notes

The Open Organization community released version 1.1 of its Open Perspectives series in November. We’ve also begun discussing 2022 project and community strategy. Read the full report to learn more and see how you can get involved.

Community Publications

(No new articles or videos this month.)

Monthly Highlights

Key Discussions

• 2022 Strategy Planning Workshop: The Open Organization community is preparing to conduct its annual strategy planning workshop. Learn all about what’s in store—and how you can get involved.

Looking Ahead

• The next Open Organization community call will occur on December 11, 2021, at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET. Anyone interested in attending should review and add items to our agenda-in-progress.
  • In January 2022, the Open Organization community will engage in its annual strategic planning workshop. This year’s workshop will actually be a workshop series, and sessions will run throughout a two-week period from January 10 to 21. Open Organization Ambassadors will be leading sessions, which include an analysis of the audience for our materials, a review of our governance structures and policies, and discussion of a website refresh. Everyone is welcome to become involved in planning the event. Review the planning document and join the conversation.

Ambassador Notes

Sam Knuth

On LinkedIn, I recently published an article on neurodiversity. I’m preparing another article on neurodiversity in open organizations for our Opensource.com channel.

Ron McFarland

Here’s what I’ve been working on:

1. One-sentence “WHO” Workshop: This workshop is set for January 18, 2022. It is based on my article “How to craft a one-sentence description of your organization’s purpose” and what I briefly introduced in our monthly meeting. If we could just generate a group decided and agreed on a “Who” sentence of who benefits from our activities, that will be a great achievement. We can always improve on what we develop from the initial point. After that, we can move to “What,” “How” and “Own it” sentences.

2. Standardized elevator speech: I gave a little presentation explaining Open Organizations at the monthly meeting, and it was stored in our presentation library for anyone to review.

3. Jos’ Open Perspective: I have read Jos’ Open Perspectives article, “Opening Up to Leadership Talent and prepared some questions for discussion. We plan to have a recorded discussion on November 30, 2021.

4. Presentation on Open Societies: I have read and made notes on the book “Open: The Story Of Human Progress” by Johan Norberg. This book tracks through history the importance of the open organization principle of inclusivity. I would like to go right to a presentation on it. We can explore later if an article would be better.

5. Presentations for OpenOrgTV: I still have several slide presentations on these articles, “The 4 components of a great decision,” “How new communication technologies are affecting peer-to-peer engagement,” “To compete or to collaborate?” and “What determines how collaborative you’ll be?” We could make presentation recordings of them in 2022.

6. Other reading report: I still can work on articles on these books and others. The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism by Jeremy Rifkin. In terms of Open Organization Principles, this is mostly about Community development, which Rifkin calls “Collaborative Commons”. The Sharing Economy: The End of Employment and the Rise of Crowd-Based Capitalism by Arun Sundararajan. This book presents sharing business models which require putting open organization principles into practice. These are just a couple books. There are others that I mentioned in previous reports.

Bryan Behrenshausen

I presented “Open Organizations: An Introduction” at the 40th annual Government IT Symposium on November 17. The session was well received and furnished several questions that could inform future episodes of “Ask the Ambassadors.”

Laura Hilliger

Ambassador Heather Leason and I are beginning to put together something on bringing openness to the non-profit world, an endeavour we’ve both, throughout our careers, been passionate about. I’ve also just written a post announcing a new open project that will impact the thousands of organisations that Julie’s Bicycle works with to reduce carbon footprints in the Arts and Cultural sector. If your organisation needs help with digital strategy or transformation, leadership development, or anything surrounding openness in 2022, get in touch with my cooperative!

Links

Filed November 30 by Bryan Behrenshausen