When is the next Strategy Planning Workshop?

Sorry for a question from a new member who lacks a full view of where this initiative is along its journey. I have only recently been invited to join and I am finding a good aspirational vision but little progress on how to implement it other than raising awareness of a few key principles that have some redundancies. The Open Organization Definition is also missing some key principles that have been adopted by pioneering organizations that are inventing a post-Industrial organization. This also raises an issue of where the Open Org vision fits within the broader discussion around New Era Organizations.

Recent Ambassador Meetings seem focused on operational issues with little mention of next steps for broader discussions on how to move Open Organizations concepts forward for broader acceptance and application.

Again, sorry if I am overlooking anything as a new member.

Thanks for reaching out, @DrRossWirth! It’s great to meet you.

You’re correct that lately our community meetings have tended toward more operational aspects of running the project and have been less about advancing the state of the community’s definition. But we always welcome input and new ideas here.

A few notes and directions, based on your comments:

I am finding a good aspirational vision but little progress on how to implement it other than raising awareness of a few key principles that have some redundancies

Some of our community-produced resources may interest you here, including volumes in our book series. In particular, I’d recommend:

Our books and other writings are our vehicles for “operationalizing” the principles we outline in the Open Organization Definition; they’re they places we record various experiments in putting those principles into practice. We welcome your contributions!

(Side note: The fact that you sense redundancies in the Open Organization Definition is something I consider a feature of the document, not a bug. We aim for the various open organization characteristics to work reciprocally, self-reinforcing and feed positively into one another—which is why we include many “see also” hyperlinks referring some sections of the document to others.)

The Open Organization Definition is also missing some key principles that have been adopted by pioneering organizations that are inventing a post-Industrial organization

We’re always interested in hearing how others would suggest improving the Open Organization Definition, which is meant to be a living document. We perform our work on this and other resources on GitHub. You might consider visiting the project for the Open Organization Definition here:

https://github.com/open-organization/open-org-definition/

… then starting a discussion about some of the idea you have.

We’ll soon be migrating all community discussions to GitHub, so by doing this you’d be among the first people to kick off a new series of productive conversations there.

Thanks for your great questions.

@Bryan - Looks like your group had a busy few years pulling your articles together. Some of my articles are available at -https://www.linkedin.com/newsletters/new-era-organizations-7066625123297988608/

Let me look at what you have at GitHub and I will overlay my thinking on the Open Org Definition.

@Bryan - I am not finding any discussions at GitHub, only what appears to be a document management system.

I write articles on Open Organization Principles, as you know. In the past, we have had discussions with authors and produced YouTube presentations. When originally set up at Red Hat, we were far more active than we are today.
Our next virtual meeting is set for February 19th. Not sure of the time for you, depending on your location and time zone.
Ron in Tokyo

I am in the Central US (CST) time zone. Is this meeting open to everyone or just Ambassadors?

Dr. Wirth,
It is for Ambassadors, but we have invited guests in the past who have given us insights around our Open Organization Principles.

Jimmy Sjolund is the organizer, and he is in Sweden. The next meeting for me was, Monday Feb 12, 2024 ⋅ 10:30pm – 11:30pm (Japan Standard Time), but it was postponed until Monday Feb 19, 2024 ⋅ 10:30pm – 11:30pm (Japan Standard Time) because of scheduling conflicts. He should send you an invitation.
Ron

Sorry about the delayed reply here, @DrRossWirth. I was away from the computer for a few days, then started a new job.

On GitHub, discussions are linked to specific projects. So to engage, you first need to select a project or topic you’d like to discuss.

So, since I see you initiated a conversation about open leadership, I’ll use that as an example.

The place where that conversation is most appropriate is likely the Open Leadership Definition, which our community maintains.

So you’d navigate to that, then locate Discussions in the uppermost tabs:

Clicking there, you’d select the New Discussion to post your thread-starter.

As I mentioned, our move to GitHub is imminent in the next month, as funding for this platform dries up and we seek a new place to house our discussions. Since GitHub is where we do our work, manage our documents, draft our articles, etc., we decided to make it the place where we hold discussions, too. If you’d like, you might consider posting your question about open leadership there in order to get things started.