Meeting conducted at 09:00 Eastern / 14:00 UTC / 15:00 CET
U.S. Dial-in number: 408.915.6466
Meeting ID: 4569610770
Summary of Actions
- @HeidiHVL: agrees to review updated governance documents, re-familiarize with the process of nominating a new ambassador, and we’ll use @Bryan as test case for ambassador nomination process (so we kick the tires on the governance process)
- @jenkelchner will continue to examine this during August and connect with @HeidiHVL and @heatherleson, who are also interested)
- @jenkelchner to connect with @bcotton to determine availability for office hour discussion
@HeidiHVL: I propose that @Bryan be “ambassadorized”
- In the past, he was a full-time community architect (when Marketing Communications was the community sponsor at Red Hat)
- Now, community architect is only part of his role (about half-time, these days, now that we’re sponsored by the Open Source Program Office)
- He spends a lot of time helping us publish and create materials and I’d bet a bunch of it is his free time
- Although we need to discuss community roles and define the process for changing roles, I still think @Bryan should be made an Ambassador and then subject to whatever changes and updates we make to roles and governance.
- Action: @HeidiHVL: agrees to review updated governance documents, re-familiarize with the process of nominating a new ambassador, and we’ll use @Bryan as test case for ambassador nomination process (so we kick the tires on the governance process)
- Our Guide to Distributed Teamwork still coming along, though chapters aren’t arriving as quickly as they once were. Congratulations (and thanks!) to @Jimmy for recently submitting his this month.
- @laura, @jonasrosland, and @Bryan participated in a web design sprint (website jam, virtual barn raising), which is showing fruit, though new site is not yet finished.
- @jen and @heather connected on a potential LinkedIn channel for our community. Our work gets shared routinely there, so there’s potential value in engaging.
- Office hours: The website sprint will constituted July’s office hour. @jenkelchner will host the August office hour. Topics on the table include a more thorough move to Discourse (see below), publishing new types of materials (podcasts, videos, etc.), and the website work.
@bcotton raised the issue of discontinuing use of
openorg-listemail list and centralizing all project communications on Discourse. @jen would like to review this idea in a more robust way at an office hour.
- “Managing with Open Values” series (@HeidiHVL offers an update)
- Series focuses on interviews with managers guided by open principles
- Current interviewee is Braxton (from mortgage company)
- Next up: @amatlack
- After that‒who knows?
- Leads to a great discussion of prioritizing non-article content (podcasts, web series, etc.); much enthusiasm and interest in opening these avenues and channels
- “Evolving a Community” series (@Bryan reporting since @laura is on vacation!)
- Series is going well
- Last week, published installment on our new logo and brand
- “Globalization and Open Organizations” series (@ronmcfarl to offer an update)
- First part is published (basic introduction to globalization concepts)
- Second part is a history of globalization and global connectedness (through 1800s)
- Third part continues this history
- Potential fourth part will look to the future (@Bryan will assess)
- @ronmcfarl is thinking of next series (but won’t start it until after the globalization series); this will be one on innovation
- @jimmy has a new Opensource.com article coming out (not on open organizations, but on vim v. emacs) August 18; get the flamethrowers ready.
- @jenkelchner is rethinking how she works, reorganizing her work and prioritizing it differently (also, since she is now part of the We Are Open Co-Op, she has colleagues with whom to collaborate!)